A Brief History of Reid-Hillview Airport
The origins of Reid-Hillview airport come from Bob and Cecil Reid, who were filled with the dream of building and owning their own airport. In 1935, with the help of local business owners, they built the "Garden City Airport". Due to the expanding valley, the airport was closed to make room for Highway 101.
In 1937, ground breaking began at site next to Hillview Golf Course. The Reid Brothers decided to incorporate the golf courses name into the airports name, hence originating the name "Reid-Hillview" Airport.
During WWII, all airports within 150 miles of the Pacific Ocean were order to closed and remove all planes to a distance of 150 miles inland. The Reids were successful in negotiating with authorities to allow them to keep airplanes based here on the condition that the propellers were removed, along with other critical engine parts until the end of the war.
After WWII, Reid-Hillview began to expand. In 1946, a paved runway was added to Reid-Hillview Airport. In 1950, the famous Goodyear race was held. The land was sold to the Santa Clara County Government and then leased back to the airport until 1965. The County then took control of the operations and added a second runway. In October 1967 the Reid-Hillview Air Traffic Control Tower became operational. The Hillview golf course was replaced by an aviation safe building complex in 1971 known as the Eastridge Mall.
Today, Reid-Hillview Airport encompasses 179 arcs of land, houses approximately
25 businesses and has over 250,000 arrivals and departures every year,
boasting two paved 3100 foot runways and is home to many flight schools
and privately owned aircraft.